Sunday, March 10, 2013

Making Things


This past week, I spent a few days at my sister's in Macon, Georgia.  She has two teenage daughters and I enjoy spending time with them because they both like to "do" things.  Margaret is especially interested in trying things and together we explored the art of making origami book marks out of her old french assignment papers.  After folding them, we then proceeded to decorate them using pencil, watercolors, and crayons.  Very simple art supplies ... and yet how fantastic they turned out!

What I loved most, however, was spending time with Margaret and learning about the kinds of books she enjoys reading.  What I realized is that the act of making something together created an activity not only for our own self-expression, but it also gave us a window into each other's lives and the things we like to read.  I plan to incorporate this activity into the YOGA-GIRL curriculum!